Have you ever thought of what happens when someone misses a flight? My best friend Mika told me missing her flight is her worst nightmare. I've never really thought about missed flights before until earlier today, when I experienced it.

So, what exactly happened?

My flight to Hong Kong was scheduled to depart ‪at 2:40 p.m.‬ I asked Gayzelle, a friend I am traveling with, what time she would be at the airport and she said before 12. She told me to do web check-in to be sure. I did as advised. I aimed to leave ‪at around 10:30 to 11‬ to give allowance for the traffic.

While I was preparing to leave ‪at around 10:22‬, I got a text message from Sarah, the media relations officer of PLDT, for an event happening ‪at 11:35‬ at SMX. I texted my editor and asked if we could send a reporter. She asked if I can make it. I told her I am on leave and have a flight to catch. She asked me to ask another reporter if he could cover. I He can't because of a hospital appointment. Editor told me to check with another reporter who also couldn't make it because she lives far from the event's venue. Editor told me we won't send anyone since it was short notice anyway.

The whole time I was checking if other reporters could cover the event, I got really stressed and worried about what my editor might think of me.

I left the house ‪at around 11:15‬. I reminded myself during the trip to the airport not to be stressed out anymore. So I was in a good mood until we reached the gas station and I realized I forgot to bring my jacket and scarf. I checked Waze and the time. Based on Waze's estimates, it would only take one hour to get to the airport. There were no signs of traffic build-up anywhere as well. Told my Dad we should go back home to get my stuff because I needed the jacket. Somehow, I also felt like I had to go back.

So, we went back. By the time we got out of the village, the traffic situation had changed and Waze was giving me a different picture. According to the app, I would get to the airport ‪at 2 p.m.‬ I tried to stay positive until we reached Edsa and the traffic has slowed into a crawl.

I arrived at the airport 20 minutes before my flight's scheduled departure. The attendant at the counter told me I could no longer take that flight because of my check-in baggage. I told her I'll just take the next flight. Taking the next flight meant I had to pay P10,000 and wait for about four or five hours. I took the next flight because I couldn't just abandon my friend and I had to see Big Bang. 

I told my Dad what happpened while waiting for the next flight. He told me to move on. I told him I will. I should also learn from it. I will not be late for flights next time.

Posted by Louie on January 22, 2017 at 02:00 AM | Add a Comment
Louie requires comments from Tabulas users only. Please login or register an account.